an artists' view

an artists' view

Sunday 1 July 2012

The Hepworth, Wakefield


Today I visited the Hepworth gallery, in Wakefield.
I wanted to do some sketches of Hepworth's stringed sculptures, as I'm planning a 'clay & string' project for a group I work with. I also did a sketch of Hepworth's bronze 'Single Form (Chun Quoit)' from 1961.
I visited Cornwall when I was studying for my M.A. and I did a drawing of the neolithic tomb Chun Quoit near St. Just. This was later exhibited in an exhibition I held at the cafe in Wakefield Theatre, as well as being shown in Doncaster Art Gallery. 


Behind this Hepworth sculpture, to the left, is Chantry Chapel; the spires just pointing into the sky. 

The River Calder, flowing over the weir outside of the Hepworth, here seen from the medieval bridge where the Chantry Chapel stands. The sun was bright, playing on the surface of the water, turning it to pewter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...