an artists' view

an artists' view

Thursday 5 March 2015

William Blake at Oxford

Can't believe it's been a month since I last posted! Been very busy at work; and tired as a result. AND went to Oxford to see the William Blake exhibition.
Which was amazing!

 My friend got me the catalogue for xmas, so I had an idea what the exhibition would be like. And there had been an underwhelmed response by some critics.
Despite everything; I loved seeing his prints again; and could only marvel at his printing skills, and beautiful handwriting on his printing plates.
Written backwards, so they'd print the right way round.

 And saw a number of Samuel Palmer drawings. Palmer, a follower of Blake's.
Beautiful; intricate; be-jewelled.
Seeing them in real life, has helped me make sense of the catalogue.
You just can't beat looking at the 'real thing' in art!
I love the Hare in this one!


2 comments:

  1. Love Samuel Palmers work, did you blog about him recently or was that someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm....I think I mentioned him on my fbook page; in the context of the Blake exhibition. His work is so intricate, and beautiful. Like tiny jewels.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...