an artists' view

an artists' view

Wednesday 11 August 2010

Woodcarving Course at YSP; Day 1

Today I started a 5 day woodcarving course at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
I'm carving a piece of Beech wood; spent most of today stripping the bark off the wood, then attempting to work out how the shape I want to carve, could emerge from it.

I'm not 'naturally' a 3D artist; I'm a painter, so don't have to concern myself with what's 'behind' the picture surface!
So this is way outside of my comfort zone.

So far, it's been a lot of hard work; but as the session drew to a close, I began to see how I would move on with the carving tomorrow.
Arthur, the tutor, was really helpful, as was James, from YSP.
I forgot to take my camera today, so I'll ensure I take it tomorrow, so I can show the stages of development with this carving.
It's quite exciting doing something so different. Carving is absolutely NOT painting! I wonder how doing this carving will impact upon my 2D work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...