an artists' view

an artists' view

Tuesday 30 April 2013

shibori silk

Firstly I dyed this piece of silk in a 'space-dye' way; then I stitched it, shibori-style and added a blue, and grey/black procian dye. The fabric has retained the pleats of the stitching, giving it a look of shirring, often spotted on small girls clothes in the 1950's!
Today we've been transfer-printing in my textiles class; and I made a collography plate which I could use for this purpose. It's worked really well. I'm very pleased with it. I've come home and ironed a transfer print onto a piece of fabric I pole-dyed last week. That piece is evolving; and I now know what I'm going to do with it to complete it. 
I've painted some transfer paint onto a sheet of paper, and will iron onto the fabric. Then I've dug out some nylon rope threads, and I'm going to stitch them onto the piece. It feels such a shift, to be able to plan what I'm going to do. At least one of the 8 sample pieces is underway now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...