an artists' view

an artists' view

Wednesday 7 July 2010

Wasp Nest


Here's a photo I took of a wasp's nest that Jon brought home for me.
It's extremely delicate, and fragments were falling off it as I carried it out into the garden to photograph it.
It's only small, it fits in the palm of my hand with room to spare.

Jon had found it in the shed at his mum's house. It's very beautiful, and the photo doesn't do it justice.
I have a book about how animals build, which I haven't read yet, but will dip into, and try to find out some information about wasp nests.
I believe that wasps 'chew' the structures where they attach their nests, and the spittle and saliva (if indeed this is what the wasps produce!) from the wasps, mix in with the chewed materials of wherever the nests attach to. This is then made into the paper-like material which the nest is made up of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...