an artists' view

an artists' view

Sunday 12 May 2013

sample #2

The second sample I've completed for the City & Guilds course. It's made on a piece of re-cycled silk, a sleeve from a shirt. It was dyed with tea-bags, then printed onto it by transfer paint. Further embellishments were wool corded on (at the top) seed stitching (in the centre) and a strip of rust-dyed silk (at the bottom).
And here is a close up of those seed stitches. I seem to be quite obsessed with this stitch! Not sure why; but I suspect I like the way I can almost freewheel stitch! Can put the needle where I want, then step back, and add, or remove. In this way, it feels a bit like painting? Mark-making.

3 comments:

  1. seed stitches look wonderful as does the whole experimental feel of your samples!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks saskia. I enjoy doing the seed stitching; it feels quite fluid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is what embroidery is at its core - mark making.Your piece is lovely, light and fluid.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...